Pages

Friday, February 13, 2015

Why does God give us weakness?

One definition of "weakness" as stated in Merriam-Webster is "a quality or feature that prevents someone or something from being effective or useful; a fault or defect."

As human beings, we are subject to the "natural man" which limits us from being completely "effective or useful." We have faults, simply because we don't understand everything perfectly and we cannot be perfect by ourselves. Part of God's plan is to allow us to go through trials so that we can learn and grow from them.

One of the most turned-to verses of scripture regarding weakness is Ether 12:27: "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

In this scripture we are told that we are given weakness (singular) so that we might be humble and turn to Christ. This "weakness" is a general term that every human being born on the earth faces. Every person is limited in their abilities independently of Christ. But when we acknowledge our weakness and humble ourselves, Christ makes "weak things become strong" unto us.

In his second epistle to the Corinthians, Paul tells us that he glories in his infirmities because [Christ's] strength is made perfect in weakness." Paul states, "Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Corinthians 12:9-10). (The footnote to "weak" in this verse takes the reader to "Humility" in the topical guide.)


The scriptures also tell us that the weak ones of the world will confound the wise and spread the kingdom of God. God restored the fulness of the gospel to the earth "to prepare the weak for those things which are coming on the earth, and for the Lord's errand in the day when the weak shall confound the wise. . . . And by the weak things of the earth the Lord shall thrash the nations by the power of his Spirit." (D&C 133:58-59)

D&C 1:19-28 states, "The weak things of the world shall come forth and break down the mighty and strong ones, that man should not counsel his fellow man, neither trust in the arm of flesh." We are given weakness so that we will not trust in the counsel of the world but in God. The verse goes on to list other reasons God relies on the weak ones of the world: "That every man might speak in the name of God the Lord, even the Savior of the world; That faith also might increase in the earth; That mine everlasting covenant might be established; That the fulness of my gospel might be proclaimed by the weak and the simple unto the ends of the world, and before kings and rulers." God even gave His commandments to His servants in their weakness, "after the manner of their language, that they might come to understanding. And inasmuch as they erred it might be made known; And inasmuch as they sought wisdom they might be instructed; And inasmuch as they sinned they might be chastened, that they might repent; And inasmuch as they were humble they might be made strong, and blessed from on high, and receive knowledge from time to time." All of these principles are a result of individuals exercising "weakness" or "humility."

It is the weak and the simple who spread the kingdom of God, because they are those who will be the must humble and rely on God in all things. "But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are." God chooses the weak things of the world to confound the wise "that no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord" (1 Corinthians 1:27). We are given weakness to remind us that it is through God that we receive all wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption. We are given weakness so that we don't glory in ourselves but in God! He gives us limitations to remind us that He is in charge. It is only through Him that we are made strong.


In summary, here are several reasons we are given weakness:
- To humble ourselves enough to have the Spirit so we can spread the kingdom of God.
- To allow Christ's grace to make us stronger.
- That the power of Christ may rest upon us.
- To remember who we should trust in (Christ, not men).
- That we might speak in the name of God.
- That faith might increase.
- That God's everlasting covenant might be established.
- That the fulness of the gospel might be proclaimed.
- That we might understand God's commandments.
- That we might gain knowledge and blessings.
- To remember that God is in charge and we must glory in Him and not ourselves.
- To cause us to search for answers and rely on the Lord because we admit that we don't know everything.

1 comment:

  1. James Muir
    Full purpose of heart. I was drawn to it from the SET UP from the crib. Took me eighteen years to resolve with Christ in God the purposefully inflicted damage of an outrageous fortune. It is said that God gives us weakness that we might come unto him!
    Ether 12:27 reads, “And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weaknesses. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble, and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
    I personally was heaped up with an outrageous fortune that greatly diminished my soul for my first 17 1/2 years. For another year defeating that was my only goal. I was inactive LDS but still began it with a three day fast. Then coasted five months to HS graduation. Then left town, then left town again....earned more money and left again driving my own car to LA. After two months I did nothing but walk out to the beach in Santa Monica 12 miles both ways. SIt there and crave God to heal me. I fasted in California every Saturday Night to Monday Morning. I fortunately was given HOW to pray with real intent when my car broke down in the desert before Las Vegas. That mad a great difference in my relationship with God. I had a given purpose to my own need and was drawn to it. After finally focusing three weeks I was visited of God and asked as to if I were willing to take upon me the name of Jesus Christ with full purpose of heart and at any hazard in this life. Then again and a third time down into the very depths of humility and earnestness of heart. I knew that was all I could do.
    When I sat upon the edge of my bed God's power fell upon me and I was wrought upon and cleansed and given a new heart, might, mind and strength from God adding to me substantially. It was a baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost. It has remained with me and led me fifty plus years now. Great things were given me to do and learn and say. After almost twenty years of valiance in works and testimony without fear of the loss suffered socially, my calling and election was made sure by the voice of each of the Godhead in turn. "THOU SHALT WITH US PARTAKE OF ETERNAL LIFE." Then given extraordinary great things to do.
    The BFHG must BECOME your life and not just added to some lesser degree!

    Reply
    Share
    6m

    ReplyDelete