Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Jacob 3:1-2 - What does it mean to have a "firm" mind?

As I read these scriptures the words "firmness of mind" stuck out to me:

1 But behold, I, Jacob, would speak unto you that are pure in heart. Look unto God with firmness of mind, and pray unto him with exceeding faith, and he will console you in your afflictions, and he will plead your cause, and send down justice upon those who seek your destruction.

2 O all ye that are pure in heart, lift up your heads and receive the pleasing word of God, and feast upon his love; for ye may, if your minds are firm, forever.

But what does it really mean to have a "firm mind"? In these scriptures, this phrase is associated with actions like "praying unto God with exceeding faith," "receiving the pleasing word of God," and "feasting upon His love." It means putting our trust in God continually (see Alma 57:27). Firmness of mind is linked to opening our minds and hearts to God's will, and accepting His plan for us willingly.

In a commentary on the Book of Mormon, it says that "to look to God with 'firmness of mind' is to be constant and undeterred in one’s progress toward that life which is like God’s; it is to have undimmed vision of the plans and purposes of the Almighty; to enjoy peace and confidence in the Master as the tempests rage on all sides. To look to God with firmness of mind is to be, as Nephi said, steadfast in Christ (see 2 Nephi 31:19-20)—to pursue an undeviating course" (Millet & McConkie, Doctrinal Commentary on BOM, Vol 2, p. 24).


So in order to have a firm mind, we must have unwavering faith in God, and be committed to Him. We can know He will always work things out as we live by faith.

However, this is not something that always comes easy. I used to think it was really easy to have faith, but as I have grown older I have often gotten stuck by pride or fear or simply not wanting to choose God's way. I believe a firm mind is something we must work for every single day. As we are consistent in our efforts to pray, study God's word, and especially apply what we're learning, we'll learn to trust God more and more. Our minds will become more firm and more steadfast. I wish I could say I have always done what God wants me to do, but sometimes I slip. Sometimes I mess up. But the beautiful thing about the gospel of Jesus Christ is that I can pick right back up and start over again. God is patient and loving, and He will help us trust Him if we so desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment